Site Meter The Garbage Man: Ants Ants and More Ants

Monday, July 17, 2006

Ants Ants and More Ants

Today was a relativly laid back monday, I started out today on the green-bins. I dumped about 2300 of these bins today. The only problem I was running into today, seemed to be the ants. I must have blown 100 ants off my arms throughout the day, None of them bit me atleast, although one day I had one bite me under my glove. I placed a lot of Rejection stickers on peoples green-bins today. I checked almost every one before dumping it today (which i'm suppose to do but seldom do). Its amazing what people try to put in these compost only bins. Some of the things that were in the bins I stickerd today include; rocks, a hard bag of cement, carpet, ceiling tile, dirt, milk cartons, broken mirror, styrofoam, a paint can and more. This afternoon I did garbage for about an hour, I had an extra helper with me for the garbage, who has only been here for a week now. At about the third stop he swung a bag of garbage and hit me in the head with a peice of brass tubing, fortunatly I was not hurt. Now I know why the other guy dropped him off to work with me. Im suppose to be with the same driver again tomorrow, he's a great driver, always stops perfectly so the back of the truck is close to the garbage. I went tanning on the weekend at a tanning bed for my first time ever, in attempt to even out my tan and get rid of my glowing white hands from wearing gloves all day. My girlfriend talked me into it, and I ended up enjoying it, almost fell asleep in there, I only went for 12 minutes but my legs sure are burnt today. I had to take a cold shower when I got home. My pet peeve for today is ants, there everywhere. Some people put bleach in there bins or spray there garbage bags to keep insects and birds away, but remember if you do this we do not have to take your garbage and can leave you a sticker! Don't forget to stop by and visit my current tennant! One Old Green Bus.

16 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Blogger Chandira said...

I thought we could put milk cartons (paper ones) in the garden waste? Hm.. Sorry!

Interesting blog!

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Chandira said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger CyberCelt said...

Placed blog post about your blog on Advertising for Success. Gave your Free Samples site another plug. too.

Also posted about your blog on http://allblogstars.blogspot.com and a headline on BE.

Thanks for renting my blog.

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Brandon Millard said...

Wow, very cool blog. Its really interesting to get the inside scoop on the hard aches of being a garbage man. I was referred here by cybercelt. I run a blog about my work with the non-profit RBRC who recycles rechargeable batteries and cell phones. I guess the more people that recycle, will help us with collection and you will having less waste to pick up.

 
At 1:37 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

I completely despise ants!!!
Great Blog!!!


Found your site through Free Products and Samples.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Here via blog explosion.

Funny post!

I guess you're not in the mood to listen to Adam Ant right now?

Chris
My Blog

 
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Deuce said...

We just take a glance, well were suppose to anyway, I don't normally

 
At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Deuce, just popping over to say how pleased I am to be the guest on such a special site, with best wishes The Artist

 
At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

man i hear ya. i throw trash in racine wisconsin. it aint no joke. average 1100 houses a day. thats just the average. only 2 guys per truck. doin it the old fasion way. LUGGIN. GOOD LUCK, ill keep reading cuz i agree with ya. take car and be safe

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger cutiger95 said...

Tell you what compost is one of the most important aspects of maintaining the environment. It benefits both the area around you and your gardening capabilities.

 
At 3:31 AM, Blogger TMTW said...

Cool blog. You write in a way that entertains and gives us a glimpse into your job. I think I'll be leaving a bowl of ice and some soda out for our guys this week.

Please keep blogging!

 
At 4:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saw your blog in an AOL article (http://jobs.aol.com/article/_a/confessions-of-a-sanitation-worker/20070823150409990001?ncid=AOLCOMMjobsDYNLprim0001). Enjoyed the writing!

 
At 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well Deuce,
I don't know if you guys are ever told you are heroes, but I think you are. The obvious reasons are you keep the streets safer and healthier, no small task. I know personally about how dangerous the job can be. We almost lost my son when he was accidently run over by the truck he was working on. It took two years, many operations and a lot of pain he had to endure. Praise God today he is doing well. All of you guys, be careful and God bless you.

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Oshutterup said...

Hey Duece, saw your name and story on page of aol news.. just had to stop by and say hello. We also own our own Trash Hauling business.. so we know all what your writing about and the experiences.. your comments about the kitty litter.. AMEN!! Understand completely!

 
At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Duece. I know how hard you work because my husband also worked for a garbage company before he died. He had a heart attack on his way home and died from injuries from the accident. I often try to leave cold water bottles for the guys that pick up my trash. I had some pretty good yard sales from the things people throw away. Thanks again. Nance

 
At 8:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deuce...just found your site....its neat!...my Brother from the time he was 5 yrs old..his dream was to be a Garbage Man..that dream for him came true the day after high school graduation..for 30 yrs he lived his dream..he was even offered promotions...turned them all down..just a yr and a half after he retired he got ill and we lost him..he is proof that dreams do come true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home